Health & insurance – Students


The health insurance system in Poland is based on principles of equal treatment and access to healthcare services.

National Health Fund (Narodowy Fundusz Zdrowia; NFZ) is the institution responsible for public medical

services in Poland, and it is they who manage public funds for healthcare.

Health insurance is mandatory for all students for the whole duration of their stay in Poland. It is important to remember that each student coming to the University of Warsaw for short-term studies will be asked to show proof of health insurance upon arrival.

International students and academics are strongly advised to purchase third-party liability insurance and accident insurance in their home countries.

Are you an EU citizen?

EU citizens are eligible for free health services in Poland, providing that they present a valid European Health Insurance Card.


EU citizens without health insurance in their countries of residence and non-EU citizens can sign a health insurance agreement with the National Health Fund (NFZ — Narodowy Fundusz Zdrowia) or with one of the private clinics.

Are you a non-EU citizen?

You can sign the insurance agreement with the National Health Fund and pay monthly contributions to the NFZ.

Do you have the Pole’s CARD (Karta Polaka) or Polish descent confirmed by a Consulate?

If yes, you are entitled to be insured by the University on the Polish Government cost.

To be insured, you have to sign a contract with the National Health Fund (NFZ – Narodowy Fundusz Zdrowia) and submit a copy of the contract to the Student Welfare and Support Office along with:

  • the application form (printed, filled in and signed),
  • a copy of the Pole’s Card or certificate of the Polish origin,
  • confirmation of student status (issued by the student’s office of the faculty)

If you are a non-EU citizen who has neither the Pole’s Card nor a Polish descent, you are also obliged to have insurance during the whole duration of your stay in Poland. Otherwise, you will be obliged to pay for all health services on your own.

Note that relevant bilateral inter-government agreements may influence one’s status in Poland regarding health care issues. For example, citizens of Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, Russia, and Serbia have the right to free medical services in case of emergency.

You can insure yourself either in NFZ or in one of numerous private insurance companies.

How can I get NFZ insurance?


  • Step 1. Documents which you need:

—  2 application forms for National Health Fund health insurance (DOCX) cover from here

— your passport with a current visa or residence permit

— your Student ID Card,

— the confirmation of the student status (issued by the student office of your faculty)

— a document confirming that you are resident in Poland (e.g. dorm certificate, residence card, rental agreement, etc.)

The form can be printed and delivered in person, or sent by post to the branch or the Polish Social Insurance Institution (ZUS) inspectorate in the competent district. The cost of insurance for international students who are not citizens of the EU is around 11 EUR per month (c. 55,80 PLN).

It is possible to pay for health insurance for a period longer than 1 month, e.g. for 6 months in advance.

Useful addresses:

Dormitory no 1 “Muchomorek” ⇒ Ochota City Hall at Grójecka 17a, 02-021 Warsaw
Dormitory no 2 “Żwirek” ⇒ Ochota City Hall at Grójecka 17a, 02-021 Warsaw
Dormitory no 3 “Kic” ⇒ Praga Południe City Hall at Grochowska 274, 03-841 Warsaw
Dormitory no 4 “Zamenhof” ⇒ Śródmieście City Hall at Nowogrodzka 43, 00-691 Warsaw
Dormitory no 5 “Smyczkowa” ⇒ Mokotów City Hall at ul. Rakowiecka 25/27
02-517 Warsaw
Dormitory no 6 “Radomska” ⇒ Ochota City Hall at Grójecka 17a, 02-021 Warsaw

ZUS I Branch in Warsaw (for Śródmieście) – Senatorska 6/8 Street , 00-917 Warsaw

ZUS II Branch in Warsaw (for Praga-Południe, Rembertów, Wawer, Wesoła) –  Podskarbińska 25 Street, 03-829 Warsaw

ZUS III Branch in Warsaw (for Mokotów, Wilanów) –  Czerniakowska 16 Street, 00-701 Warsaw

National Health Fund (NFZ)
Polish Social Insurance Institution (ZUS)
List of state hospitals (only in Polish)
Detailed information on healthcare in Poland for citizens of EU/EEA member states 

Please note that you don’t need a PESEL number to get NFZ insurance. However, it still might be useful as this is a unique identification number for all Polish citizens and many residents, so we highly recommend applying for it.

Private insurance

You can decide to insure yourself privately. But you have to remember that private insurance policies do not provide the same equal access to medical services that you can expect from public coverage.

You can find the list here.

Limitations of private insurance are set by the policy you decide on. You can choose a cheap one where you have access only to basic services, such as visits to a general practitioner and some specialist doctors. On the other hand, if you decide on more expensive services, they will most probably include more advanced options, e.g.: hospitalisation, operations, giving birth etc.

Also, please, remember that private companies often set so-called delay periods, which means that patients have access to certain services only after a longer period of paying the insurance contribution (e.g. 60 days).

That is why we strongly recommend that you obtain public insurance from the National Health Fund.

For more info, please, visit this website.