Scholarships to Start
program is being offered from Rector’s Fund by the University of Warsaw beginning since 2022–2023 academic year. It is addressed to the most talented students and PhD candidates who have been accepted to the University of Warsaw or Doctoral School in a certain academic year. The scholarship is given for a period of 12 months and will be paid in full within 30 days of being awarded.
The program offers three different types of scholarships:
1. Scholarship to Start for Olympians:
This scholarship is adressed at first-year students in first-cycle or long second-cycle studies. Scholarship is offered for students who have won subject competitions and have received the highest amount of points during the recruitment process for their studies, based on their title as a subject competition winner.
2. Scholarship to Start for Athletes:
The given scholarship is awarded to students in the first year of the first-cycle, second-cycle, long second cycle studies, as well as first-year doctoral candidates at doctoral school, who are outstanding athletes with the status of medalist of Polish Championships or finalist of the Olympics, World, or European Championships. It is also for students, who are eligible for the Rector’s scholarship in the academic year in which they apply for the “Scholarship to Start.”
3. Scholarship to Start for Doctoral Candidates:
This scholarship is intended for first-year doctoral students at a doctoral school, who achieved in the recruitment procedure a score of 20% of the highest results in a given discipline or within the educational program in a given doctoral school.
How to apply?
- fill out an application (PDF PL)
- attach a confirmation of your achievements (exceptions: PhD candidates).
- submit application along with achievements confirmation to the Student Welfare and Support Office UW
Application deadlines and details can be found on the website of the Student Welfare and Support Office.
can be given to a student who obtained high GPA in the preceding year, has significant scientific achievements, artistic achievements or has achievements in sport on the national and/or international level. It also may be granted to first year students, namely – laureates of International Science Olympiad or one of Polish science Olympiads.
Detailed information about the Rector’s Scholarship
You should register your application for the rector’s scholarship via USOSweb. Go to the COMMON SECTION tab, then APPLICATIONS and complete an application for the rector’s scholarship for the best students.
To register the application, you must have a bank account number in USOSweb! It is best to fill in the account number in the dean’s office or secretary’s office. You can also do it by entering the FOR STUDENTS tab. Select the “scholarships” tab, then “student bank account”.
Applications deadline in 2022/2023 academic year: October 17.
International students of the University of Warsaw can apply for social scholarship if:
- they study free of charge
- they meet at least one of the following conditions, they:
- have been granted with permanent residence permit
- have refugee status
- have Polish language certificate at least at C1 level
- have Pole’s Card
- have a decision stating that the person have a connection the Polish nation
- benefit from temporary protection on the territory of Polish Republic
- are migrant workers with citizenship of EU member state, Switzerland, European Free Trade Association (EFTA) member state, or European Economic Area (EEA) member state. This also includes family of such person
- have been granted with long-term EU-resident permit on the territory of Poland, or other European country. This also includes family of such person
- have been granted with temporary residence permit on the territory of Poland due to one of the following reasons:
- performance of work in an occupation requiring high skills
- intention of a family member to reunite with a citizen of EU member state, EFTA member state, Switzerland, residing in Poland
- are under subsidiary protection on the territory of Poland
- are citizens of member states of EU, EFTA, EEA or Switzerland. This also includes family of such person.
Scholarship for people with disabilities
The rules for providing scholarships for students with disabilities are set out in the Act of 20 July 2018 – Law on Higher Education, art. 86-95 (PDF English version) and in the Regulations on Benefits for Students of the University of Warsaw (Monitor UW of 2021, item 215, only in Polish).
The scholarship application is submitted through the USOSweb system. After logging into USOSweb, go to the “Common section”, then “Applications” and complete the form by selecting it from the list of available applications.
The scholarship application is submitted as an electronic document. Electronic submission of applications in USOSweb is done using the “NEXT: SIGN AND SUBMIT ELECTRONICALLY” button. When you click it, USOSweb will open another screen where you will need to enter an authorization code that will be sent to your email address. Once the authorization code has been entered, electronic submission of the application via USOSweb will occur.
Scholarship application processing is provided by the Office for Persons with Disabilities.
The application procedure should be repeated every time, at the beginning of the academic year or if the disability certificate has expired and a new document has been issued.
- a disability certificate,
- a certificate on the degree of disability,
- certificate referred to in Articles 5 and 62 of the Act of 27 August 1997 on Vocational and Social Rehabilitation and Employment of Persons with Disabilities (certificate issued by a Social Insurance Institution (ZUS) medical expert, certificate of membership in one of the disability groups, certificate of permanent or long-term inability to work on an agricultural farm).