Legalisation of stay


An amendment to the law on assistance to Ukrainian citizens has been passed. In particular, it provides for the extension of the legality of stay for Ukrainian citizens with UKR PESEL in Poland until 30 June 2024.

Since 1 July 2023, the state of epidemic emergency introduced in connection with SARS-CoV-2 virus infections has been revoked, according to a draft regulation of the Minister of Health published on the website of the Government Legislation Centre.

This means that the ordinance of 13 January 2023 is no longer valid, making 30 July 2023 the final day for legal residence under COVID legislation and the last day to submit residence documents.

If your visa or current temporary residence card is about to expire, we encourage you not to wait until the last minute and to start the legalization process as soon as possible. Welcome Point will be happy to help you with this.

Apart from the law on entering the territory of Poland, as a foreigner, you are subject to certain laws that regulate your stay. Polish law introduces different requirements for EU/EFTA and non-EU/EFTA citizens with regard to legalisation of stay.

In general, the requirements will differ based on whether you will stay for up to 3 months, 3 months to 5 years, or reside permanently. As a student or UW employee, you will most probably be interested in the first two options.

Please note that Welcome Point provides face-to-face and online support services for legalization of stay, which include:



       researchers, academic teachers, UW’s employees