Legalisation of stay – non-EU/EFTA nationals

Entering the territory of Poland:

Citizens of non-EU countries may enter Poland and stay within its territory on a basis of Schengen or national visa. Visa is issued by a consul.

  • Schengen Visa (marked with C symbol) – is issued when the planned stay on the territory of the Schengen area does not exceed 90 days within each 180-day period.
  • National visa (marked with D symbol) – entitles to entry and a continuous stay in the territory of Poland or to several consecutive stays which jointly last longer than 90 days, the period of validity of a national visa cannot exceed 1 year.

Conditions of entry and stay in Poland of foreigners holding a national visa (D symbol) or a residence document (e.g. residence card) issued by another Member State of Schengen area are available here.

List of countries, citizens of which are exempted from a visa and the rules of visa-free regime can be found here.

Temporary residence permit:

The application for a temporary residence permit is submitted in person, no later than on the last day of legal residence in Poland to a voivode having jurisdiction over place of residence (Wojewoda Mazowiecki).

What documents are needed to submit?

  • 2 copies of the application for a temporary residence permit. Download the application from the Office for Foreigners website (you only need to print 12 pages, the rest of them are attachments). You can also use our instruction on how to fill in such an application;
  • 4 recent colour photographs;
  • a valid travel document (passport, 2 photocopies);
  • a confirmation, issued by the Faculty office, of acceptance or continuation of your studies/certificate of participation in a training course,
  • proof of payment of the required tuition/course fee, if they are payable;
  • documents confirming having health insurance or coverage by the insurer of the cost of treatment in Poland;
  • evidence of sufficient funds to cover the costs of living and return travel to the country of origin or residence and the cost of tuition/training course (more information can be found here).
  • transcript of records
  • information about utilities expenses (such as electricity, water, waste disposal, heating, and sewage)

Documents drawn up in a foreign language should be submitted together with their translations into Polish made by a sworn translator.

You can search the sworn translator through the website of the Ministry of Justice.

Where the documents should be submitted?

  • Mazowieckie Province Office, Department of Foreigners (reservation – ticket X)

Marszałkowska 3/5, ground floor, stands 10-11, rooms 14 and 16. More details about the place of submitting documents are here: PL EN RU

Office hours:

  • Pl. Bankowy 3/5 in Warsaw, entrance G (reservation – ticket G)
  • Floriańska 10 in Warsaw (reservation – ticket F)

Location for submitting applications for PERMANENT STAY or LONG-TERM RESIDENT OF THE EUROPEAN UNION:

  • Krucza 5/11 in Warsaw (reservation – ticket S)

Applications can be submitted also at Regional Offices of the Mazowieckie Province Office in:

  • Ciechanów at 17 Stycznia 17, ground floor, room 10
  • Płock at 3 Maja 16, ground floor, room 10
  • Radom at Żeromskiego 53, 2nd floor, room 261
  • Siedlce at Piłsudskiego 38, ground floor, room 14
  • Ostrołęka at Gorbatowa 15, ground floor, room 46B

Office hours: Mon 10:00-17:30; Tue-Thu: 08:00-15:30; Fri 08:00-14:00

Applications can be submitted only after prior arrangement for a specific day and time. Details about the submitting of applications can be found here.

The application for a residence permit may be submitted without making an appointment, by post or via the registry office. The date of submission of the application is considered as a date of submission of the application to the Office physically or the date of the postmark. When submitting the application in this way, no fingerprints are taken, and the documents submitted are not verified for compliance with the original. It is also not possible to have a stamp in the passport confirming the submission of the application.

There is also a possibility of submitting your application at the Warsaw Multicultural Center (54 Jagiellońska Street, 03-463 Warsaw), but only after prior arrangement of the meeting by calling this number: 22 32 58 900.

There is also an additional point of receipt of applications for legalisation of stay for the marriage and the children or the foreigner and the family members who join him.

What fees are needed to be paid?

340 PLN at the time of submission of the application and 50 PLN for the residence card upon receipt of the decision. More information about fees can be found on this website.


visit Mazowieckie Province Office’s website
tel. (+48) 22 695 67 70, 22 695 67 73

Legal basis:

The Act on Foreigners of 12 December 2013 (Journal of Laws of 2003, Item 1650)

Coronavirus outbreak:

Due to the introduction of  a state of an epidemic on 16th March 2020, the Polish government introduced special solutions for foreigners. More information on this can be found here.

Please reach the voivodeship office valid for your place of residence directly in the event of a situation which requires you to immediately lodge an application for temporary residence permit. The application for the temporary residence permit may also be sent to the voivodeship office via the Polish Post Office by registered mail with confirmation of receipt.