Health & insurance – PhD students

EU/EEA students with a valid European Health Insurance Card are entitled to medical help free of charge. All other international students use the medical clinics on a payment basis depending on the terms and conditions determined by their insurance company.


Health insurance is mandatory for all students for the whole duration of their stay in Poland. It is important to remember that each student coming to the University of Warsaw for short-term studies will be asked to show a proof of health insurance upon arrival.

International students and academics are strongly advised to purchase third party liability insurance and accident insurance in their home countries.

Are you the EU citizen?

EU citizens are eligible for free health services in Poland providing that they present a valid European Health Insurance Card.

EU citizens without health insurance in their countries of residence and non-EU citizens can sign a health insurance agreement with the National Health Fund (NFZ – Narodowy Fundusz Zdrowia) or with one of the private clinics.

Are you a non-EU citizen?

You  can sign the insurance agreement with the National Health Fund (NFZ – Narodowy Fundusz Zdrowia) and pay monthly contribution to the NFZ.

Do you have the Pole’s CARD (Karta Polaka) or Polish descent confirmed by a Consulate?

If yes, you are entitled to be insured by the University on the Polish Government cost.

In order to be insured, you have to sign a contract with the National Health Fund (NFZ – Narodowy Fundusz Zdrowia) and submit a copy of the contract to the Welfare Section of the Office for Student Affairs along with:

  • the application form (printed, filled in and signed),
  • a copy of the Pole’s Card or certificate of the Polish origin,
  • confirmation of student status (issued bythe students office of the faculty)


If you are a non-EU citizen who have neither the Pole’s Card nor a Polish descent,

you are also obliged to have an insurance during the whole duration of your stay in Poland. Otherwise you will be obliged to pay for all health services on your own.

This reffers also to the students who work on comission.


How can I get NFZ insurance?

  • Step 1. Documents which you need:

– 2 application forms for National Health Fund health insurance cover from here

– your passport with a current visa or residence permit

– your Student ID Card,

– the confirmation of the student status (issued by the student office of your faculty)

– a document confirming that you are resident in Poland (e.g. dorm certificate, residence card, rental agreement, etc.)

The form can be printed and delivered in person, or sent by post to the branch or the Polish Social Insurance Institution (ZUS) inspectorate in the competent district.

It is possible to pay for health insurance for a period longer than 1 month, e.g. for 6 months in advance.

Useful addresses:

Dormitory no 1 “Muchomorek” => Ochota City Hall at Grójecka 17a, 02-021 Warsaw

Dormitory no 2 “Żwirek” => Ochota City Hall at Grójecka 17a, 02-021 Warsaw

Dormitory no 3 “Kic” => Praga Południe City Hall at Grochowska 274, 03-841 Warsaw

Dormitory no 4 “Zamenhof” => Śródmieście City Hall at Nowogrodzka 43, 00-691 Warsaw

Dormitory no 5 “Smyczkowa” => Mokotów City Hall at ul. Rakowiecka 25/27
02-517 Warsaw

Dormitory no 6 “Radomska” => Ochota City Hall at Grójecka 17a, 02-021 Warsaw

ZUS I Branch in Warsaw (for Śródmieście) – Senatorska 6/8 Street , 00-917 Warsaw

ZUS II Branch in Warsaw (for Praga-Południe, Rembertów, Wawer, Wesoła) –  Podskarbińska 25 Street, 03-829 Warsaw

ZUS III Branch in Warsaw (for Mokotów, Wilanów) –  Czerniakowska 16 Street, 00-701 Warsaw

National Health Fund (NFZ)

Polish Social Insurance Institution (ZUS)

List of state and private hospitals and health centres

Detailed information on healthcare in Poland for citizens of EU/EEA member states