Do I need to legalize my stay? How can I do it?

If you are not a citizen of one of EU, EFTA or EEA countries, then yes, you definitely should legalize your stay in Poland. First of all, you have to find out whether you are allowed to enter the territory of Poland without a visa or not. List of visa-free countries is available on the website of Polish Ministry of Foreign Affairs. If your home country is not on the list, then you should apply for a visa type ‘D’ (Individual Country Visa) with ‘09’ sticker (pursuit of first cycle, second cycle degree, uniform master’s degree or attending a third cycle studies programme) in Polish consulate (search engine for Polish offices abroad can be found here).

Students who have entered Poland on basis of visa-free movement and those whose visas are about to expire have to legalize their stay. You can read more about procedures of legalization of stay here.

Do I need to prove my English-language skills before I am admitted?

Yes, every student that applies for a course in English is bound to present a specific document that proves that she/he is able to study in this language. List of certificates that are acceptable at the UW can be found here.

Does the University provide any kind of accommodation for students?

Yes, the University of Warsaw offers 2800 places in six residence halls situated in various parts of the city. Each hall has a quiet study lounge, a TV room, a computer room and laundry facilities. Monthly rent ranges from EUR 80 to 150 (PLN 325-620) per person, depending on the type of room.

If you are an international student coming to study on a BA or MA degree programme at UW, you can apply for a room via USOSweb, short-term students, on the other hand, have assigned accommodation from the pool of places available in dormitories prior to their arrival. You can obtain all the necessary information about on-campus accommodation from our International Relations Office.

How can I know if I am eligible for any scholarship?

International candidates for studies at the UW can benefit from scholarships that are offered by Polish National Agency for Academic Exchange – NAWA (click here for more information) or Visegrad Fund (click here for more information).

I am a foreigner, do I have to pay for my studies?

First of all, you have to remember that studies in English are payable for everyone, both Poles and international students. As to studies in Polish they are free of charge only for Polish citizens and for the following groups of candidates from abroad:

  • citizenship of one of UE, EFTA, EEA countries (or one of your family members has one),
  • temporary residence permit due to some special circumstances (referred to in Articles: 159 section 1, or Article 186 section 1 subsections 3 or 4 of the Act of 12 December 2013 on foreigners),
  • permanent residence permit,
  • long-term EU-resident permit,
  • refugee status (as well as beneficiaries of temporary and subsidiary protection).
  • holders of the Pole’s Card,
  • holders of the formal decision on Polish origin
  • spouses, children and parents of the Polish citizen, if residing in the territory of Poland
  • holders of the C1 level certificate in Polish language issued by the State Commission for the Certification of Proficiency in Polish as a Foreign Language

Please note: Foreigner can be exempted from tuition fee payment on the basis of the decision of the minister or the director of Polish National Agency for Academic Exchange on granting a scholarship.

I cannot log into Edu-roam. Why is that?

Have you changed your password already? If not, do it, because it is necessary for edu-roam to work properly. It is possible on this website. Also make sure that you are using right username. Correct one should look like this: <PESEL>@uw.edu.pl. You do not know what PESEL is? It is 11-digit number that you should have received from the University via e-mail when you have been admitted.

If you are still having troubles with logging into Edu-roam, that might be because you have an iPhone or an iPad (or basically any device with Apple iOS system). If that is the case, enter this website, click on ‘Kliknij, by pobrać instalator eduroam’ banner and choose ‘Uniwersytet Warszawski’ from the list that will pop out. After that click on ‘Wybierz inny instalator do pobrania’ and choose your operating system. You will download an installer specific for your iOS. After installing it your internet should work just fine. If you do not know how to proceed, check out our instruction.

I would like to learn Polish language, will I have a possibility of doing it at the University for free?

Students from abroad studying at the UW have a right to learn Polish language for free. If you do not have tokens for Polish language course on your USOS account already, contact your faculty and ask for them. They should be given to you straight away.

There are no free places in the class I want attend to. Can I join this class somehow?

There is such possibility but only if lecturer approves it. If you already got a ‘yes’, you can fill in an application in USOSweb (Student’s Section –> Applications –> submit a new application). Application (filled in, printed and signed by you and professor) should be than delivered to the dean’s office of your faculty.

What about health insurance? Do I need it?

Health insurance in Poland is not obligatory but nevertheless is highly recommended. Without having it you may be charged with a huge bill if something, knock on wood, happens to you.

There are two types of health insurance in Poland: public and private one. We cannot recommend you any private insurance company, but it should be really easy for your to find variety of such companies on the Internet. As to public insurance system in Poland, you can learn more about it here.

EU citizens are eligible for free health services in Poland providing that they present a valid European Health Insurance Card.

What about transferring from another institution? Is that possible?

Yes, there is such possibility but you have to remember about few things. To begin with, a student who is willing to transfer to the UW has to complete the first year of his/her studies at his/her home university. Request for a transfer should be addressed to Vice-Rector for Student Affairs and Quality of Teaching. To the request you should attach following documents:

  • transcript of records with a confirmation of a current study term completion;
  • an approval for the transfer issued by the home university;
  • dean of chosen faculty approval for the transfer;
  • a copy of passport or ID card, as well as document of legalisation of stay within the territory of Poland;
  • some faculties may require additional documents (such as a covering letter).
What courses do you offer to non-Polish speaking students?

University of Warsaw has rich and constantly growing offer of studies in English language dedicated to international students. Right now we have 27 programmes in English on Bachelor and Master level:

As to doctoral studies, University provides two full-time PhD programmes that are held in English, but most faculties run individual PhD programmes for international students anyway. In order to gain more information, you can contact a faculty that you are interested in studying in. List of faculties at the UW is available here.

What documents do I need to present in order to apply?

Full list of documents necessary in the process of applying for studies at the UW is available here.

What does the registration for subjects looks like at the UW?

First of all, you have to remember that the registration process for obligatory subjects may vary in different faculties. Usually, you register for them through your own USOSweb account (Student’s Section –> Registrations).

For other classes (such as PE, language classes and so on) you register through special token registration service. Click here to check the website.

When do admissions start? Is there a winter intake at the UW?

Admissions’ starting date varies depending on a faculty. Most admissions begin somewhere between April and June. In order to be sure, check the registration website often.

Usually there is no winter intake for English courses.