Visas / residence permit

No visa is required if you come from an EU/EFTA member country or other country listed by the Polish Ministry of Foreign Affairs (check visa free countries here). A valid travel document entitles students to enter Poland. Although you do not need to have a visa to come to Poland, you should register your stay (see below) if your stay in Poland will be longer than 90 days.

Citizens of other countries who wish to study in Poland are required to obtain a Polish visa prior to their arrival in Warsaw. They should contact the Polish Consulate or Embassy in their country of residence. It is important to remember that visas are granted for maximum one year. In order to extend the stay in Poland, it is necessary to apply for a residence permit for specified period of time in a Voivodeship office (please see details below).

Citizens of non-EU/EFTA countries which are not listed as visa free countries may enter Poland and stay within its territory on a basis of Schengen or national visa.

Schengen Visa (visa type C) – is issued when the planned stay on the territory of the Schengen area does not exceed 90 days within each 180-day period.

National visa (visa type D) – entitles to entry and a continuous stay in the territory of Poland or to several consecutive stays which jointly last longer than 90 days, the period of validity of a national visa cannot exceed 1 year.

Conditions of entry and stay in Poland of foreigners holding a national visa (D symbol) or a residence document (e.g. residence card) issued by another Member State of Schengen area are available here.

List of countries, citizens of which are exempted from a visa and the rules of visa-free regime.

Visa requirements and application forms as well as the complete list of Polish diplomatic missions abroad are available at the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Holders of dual citizenship (Polish and foreign) are required to enter Poland using their Polish passport or Polish national ID.

Residence Permit

Students and academics staying at the University of Warsaw for more than three months are obliged to obtain a temporary residence permit. In case of students, this document is issued for one year.

The residence permit is issued by the Department of Citizens Affairs of the Mazovian Voivodship Office.

The application for a permanent residence permit is submitted in person, no later than on the last day of legal residence in Poland to a voivode having jurisdiction over place of residence (in case of Warsaw it is Wojewoda Mazowiecki).