Legalisation of stay (non-EU/EFTA nationals) – old page

Entering the territory of Poland:

Citizens of non-EU countries may enter Poland and stay within its territory on a basis of Schengen or national visa. Visa is issued by a consul.

  • Schengen Visa (marked with C symbol) – is issued when the planned stay on the territory of the Schengen area does not exceed 90 days within each 180-day period.
  • National visa (marked with D symbol) – entitles to entry and a continuous stay in the territory of Poland or to several consecutive stays which jointly last longer than 90 days, the period of validity of a national visa cannot exceed 1 year.

Conditions of entry and stay in Poland of foreigners holding a national visa (D symbol) or a residence document (e.g. residence card) issued by another Member State of Schengen area are available here.

List of countries, citizens of which are exempted from a visa and the rules of visa-free regime can be found here.

Temporary residence permit:

The application for a temporary residence permit is submitted in person, no later than on the last day of legal residence in Poland to a voivode having jurisdiction over place of residence (Wojewoda Mazowiecki).

What documents are needed to submit?

  • 2 copies of the application for a temporary residence permit (download the application from the Mazowieckie Province Office website, you can also use our instruction on how to fill in such an application);
  • 4 recent colour photographs;
  • a valid travel document (passport, 2 photocopies);
  • information from the governor regarding the results of a job market test
  • documents confirming having health insurance or coverage by the insurer of the cost of treatment in Poland;
  • documents confirming having a place to live in Poland (e.g. lease agreement)
  • evidence of sufficient funds to cover the costs of living and return travel to the country of origin or residence and the cost of tuition/training course
  • tax declaration (e.g. PIT)
  • a certificate of no arrears in payment of taxes

Documents drawn up in a foreign language should be submitted together with their translations into Polish made by a sworn translator.

You can search the sworn translator through the website of the Ministry of Justice.

Where the documents should be submitted?

Mazowieckie Province Office, Department of Foreigners

Marszałkowska 3/5, 1st floor, stands 10-11, rooms 14 and 16
Office hours:

Monday 10:00-17:30
Tuesday 08:00-15:00
Wednesday 08:00-15:00
Thursday 08:00-15:00
Friday 08:00-15:00

Additional points of receipt of applications for legalisation of stay:

  • Pl. Bankowy 3/5 in Warsaw, entrance G 
  • Floriańska 10 in Warsaw 

Applications can be submitted also at Regional Offices of the Mazowieckie Province Office in:

  • Ciechanów at 17 Stycznia 17, ground floor, room 10
  • Płock at 3 Maja 16, ground floor, room 10
  • Radom at Żeromskiego 53, 2nd floor, room 261
  • Siedlce at Piłsudskiego 38, ground floor, room 14
  • Ostrołęka at Gorbatowa 15, ground floor, room 46B

Office hours: Mon 10:00-17:30; Tue-Thu: 08:00-15:30; Fri 08:00-14:00

Applications can be submitted only after prior arrangement for a specific day and time. Details about the submitting of applications can be found here.

What fees are needed to be paid?

440 PLN at the time of submission of the application and 50 PLN for the residence card upon receipt of the decision. More information about fees can be found on this website.


visit Mazowieckie Province Office’s website
tel. (+48) 22 695 67 70, 22 695 67 73

Legal basis:

The Act on Foreigners of 12 December 2013 (Journal of Laws of 2003, Item 1650)