Higher Education and Science Act changes the way doctoral students will go about finalising their dissertation process. Nonetheless, there will be a transitional period during which PhD students who had undertaken their studies before these changes have been introduced will be able to finish their studies under the old rules. Here are some important deadlines to remember:
- 30.04.2019 – the last day you can start your PhD process („przewód doktorski”) in accordance with the old rules or finish your degree according to the old (prior to October 1, 2018) system of scientific disciplines
- 01.05–30.09.2019 – a period during which you will not be able to start your dissertation process either according to the old rules or new rules. However, during this period those who started their PhD process before 30.04.2019 can still defend their PhD
- 30.09.2019 – until this date it is possible to finish your degree before the Faculty’s Council – only for those who started their PhD process before 30.04.2019
- 01.10.2019 – from this day on you will be able to start your PhD process in accordance with the new rules. Moreover, from this moment on the doctoral title will be conferred by the Discipline Council (new body introduced by the University’s Senate) and not your Faculty’s Council. Details on the composition of the Discipline Councils and the procedure itself have not been announced yet
- 31.12.2022 – all open PhD processes initiated in accordance with the old rules have to be finalised up to this date or will be closed automatically. It is still possible to finish your degree through starting PhD process in accordance with the new rules
- 31.12.2023 – all doctoral candidates who started their PhD process in accordance with the old rules have to complete their studies by this date.